Data scientist and researcher with a background in Computer Science and Econometrics. Loves building bespoke machine learning models designed to inform business actions. Enjoys learning, experimentation, and building things.
MASTER IN PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION in INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (2016)
Harvard Kennedy School of Government, MA
econometrics, macroeconomics, microeconomics, data science, statistics, machine learning
BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING (ELEC.) /BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (COMP.) (Hons) 2004
University of Melbourne, Australia
Tools: Python (incl. pymc3, pytorch, pyspark), R, Stata, Scala, AWS/EC2, DataBricks
Skills: Bayesian Inference, Optimization, Causal Inference, Statistical modelling, Machine Learning, Econometrics.
Senior Data Scientist (QuantumBlack, McKinsey & Company)
Cambridge, MA (Sep 2018 - current)
- Pharma - Mined electronic medical records to understand causes of patient switching behavior. Analytics was used to improve targeting for various marketing channels.
- Disaster Recover - Developed Monte Carlo models to quantify uncertainty in key milestones to inform mitigation strategies. Models were used to better understand possible states of the world prepare contingency plans.
- Chemical manufacturing - Identified root cause of variability in production yields. Identified levers that can used to improve yield. Optimized manufacturing process using genetic algorithms.
- Internal R&D - Contributed to an internal package for causal inference using Bayesian Networks.
Graduate Research Fellow (Centre for International Development)
Cambridge, MA (Nov 2016 - Aug 2018)
- Developed Machine Learning models to identify export sector growth opportunities at sub-national level in Colombia.
- Built collaborative filtering models to predict rural agricultural diversification and recommended possible areas for investment in Colombia.
- Used Collaborative Filtering and network analysis to understand patterns and predict changes in global tourism using credit card transactions data.
Team Member/Economist (Office of the Chief Economic Advisor, Ministry of Finance)
New Delhi, India (June 2015 – Aug 2015 / Dec 2015 – Feb 2016)
- Contributing writer for the 2016 Economic Survey – Conducted analysis and wrote the chapter on fertilizer subsidy in the 2016 Indian Economic Survey.
- Policy reform for fertilizer – Demonstrated how current policy leads to shortages and black markets. Worked with Ministry of Fertilizer & Chemicals to design a new policy that is was presented to the cabinet.
- Created analytics on social and economic development – Analysed recently released SECC census data to highlight variation in various metrics of welfare in India for presentation to the Finance Minister.
Senior Associate, Global Markets Team (Clinton Health Access Initiative)
sub-Saharan Africa (Aug 2012 – Aug 2014)
- Modelled the HIV diagnostics - CD4, viral load and EID (early infant diagnosis) - global markets scenarios including size, projected growth, and segmentation. These models were used to identify market opportunities and negotiate pricing.
- Negotiated lowered pricing with leading diagnostics manufacturers for viral load testing in sub-Saharan Africa that lead to a deal that will save $150 mil over 5 years.
- Assisted 7 countries in sub-Saharan Africa with rational selection and deployment of new diagnostic products. Helped the ministries of health understand the gaps in country’s diagnostic coverage and develop optimal product deployment strategies.
Access to medicines/UNITAID Analyst (Clinton Health Access Initiative)
Kampala, Uganda (Jul 2011 – Aug 2012)
- Increased uptake of a new drug, Atazanavir/Ritonavir (ATV/r) by 14% in one quarter by driving policy change at Ministry of Health and assisting major implementation partners with the transition.
- Analysed consumption and issues data to forecast demand for paediatric and second line anti-retroviral medications (ARVs) in country to determine national need for ARVs.
- On behalf of the Ministry of Health, performed a quantification of the national need for all critical lab reagents and consumables to inform national diagnostic budget.
Manager – Technology Consulting (Accenture Pty. Ltd)
Melbourne, Australia (Mar 2005 – Jul 2011)
- Analysed business and technical barriers, and designed solutions for numerous organizations in public and private sectors including Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Telstra and the Australia Tax Office.
- Managed large budgets and lead teams up to 22 people to deliver on tight deadlines.
Publications and Presentations
- Redesigning India’s Urea Policy, Harvard Kennedy School, MPA/ID Final Capstone Paper
- Economic survey of India, Ministry of Finance, February 2016
- An overview of the antiretroviral market, Current Opinion in HIV/AIDS, November 2013 - Volume 8 - Issue 6
- HIV Testing – Market Analysis, African Society for Laboratory Medicine, Cape Town, 2012
- Adaptive Clustering for Network Intrusion Detection, PAKDD 2004: 255-259